One of the things that I have found surprising lately, is the lack of understanding about what a locksmith actually does. For years, I have heard things like, “Can you really keep busy just cutting keys?” or “So what is it that you actually DO?” The life of a locksmith is actually VERY fun and diverse! We may start off the day designing a master key system (which is a very intricate and beautiful process) and end the day tracking network issues through routers and VPN’s. Locksmiths have come a long way from being simply lock and key shops. Most of today’s locksmiths are Security Professionals. We not only cut keys and pick locks, but we address the complete security picture of your home, business, or organization.
Before we get into what a locksmith is, let’s first look at what a locksmith is NOT:
- Locksmiths are NOT magicians (although we like to pretend that we are sometimes). A lot of what we do looks mysterious. All those picks and pins, and specialty tools look weird, but they all have very specific purposes and many of them are very delicate. We use them for specific things that we have been trained to do in order to fix your security needs.
- Locksmiths are NOT all knowing. Like many of you, we locksmiths are rushing to keep up with the ever-changing world that we now live in. Twenty years ago, almost everything a locksmith did was mechanical. We had to be really good with our hands. Now, not only do we have to be experts with the mechanical systems that we have always used, but we also have to know network systems, basic programming, computer use, etc.!
- Legitimate Locksmiths are NOT out to scam you, trick you, or rob you of your money. We are here to provide you with EXCELLENT security solutions that will meet your needs and budget. As our world seems to get more and more UNsecure, we are here to help you navigate all of the options, products, and risks that exist. It is true that there are a lot of illegitimate locksmiths or locksmith scams out there. When you do a google search for locksmiths, the first twenty or so, are likely call centers that have been made to look like they are local shops. They will often send out untrained technicians who will quote you a low price and then greatly increase the cost once the work is done. However, this is NOT what a legitimate locksmith will do.
- Legitimate locksmiths will quote you a fair price and and stick to it (unless the scope of work changes).
- Legitimate locksmiths will happily provide you with their license number. We have to work hard to prove that we are committed to the public safety, and are honest and upright people. Our licenses are issued through the state’s Private Security Board, and we are held to the same standards as private investigators and armed security companies. Be wary of any locksmith who does not want to give you their license number.
- Legitimate Locksmiths will show up in a vehicle that clearly displays their company name and license number.
- Locksmiths are NOT handymen. While you might hire a handyman to replace a light fixture or a faucet in your house, we all know that if you need serious plumbing or electrical work done, you need to hire a licensed plumber or electrician. In the same way, when you need security work done, you should hire a licensed locksmith. Your security is a serious matter. When a locksmith comes to your home or place of work, we are looking at all of the potential security issues that may be there. We pay attention to door hardware, door condition, camera placement, and security vulnerabilities. We don’t always tell you all the things we see, because we do not want to scare you off or make you think that we are just there to get money from you. However, if you ask us, we will let you know the areas we see where you can make improvements. We are your SECURITY professional, and we are here to help you be more secure in all aspects of your life.
- While it’s true that locksmiths do know how to bypass most locks, locksmiths are NOT criminals. We have a very unique skill set. In order to know how to best serve you, we need to know a lot about how to manipulate and bypass many different systems. However, don’t worry, we are the “White Hats” of the physical security world. We figure out how security products actually work and what it takes to make them break. Then we can help you choose the best product to meet your needs.
- Locksmiths are NOT just for the rich and famous. Did you know that it is usually no more expensive to get keys cut by your locksmith than from a box store? And we keep our machines tightly calibrated, so you can trust the keys that we make. Have you heard the phrase, “You get what you pay for”? With locks and door hardware, that is often true. Unlike your local box store, as locksmiths, we choose to only carry really good-quality hardware–not the most expensive, but hardware that will give you really good security for your money. So even though it may be a bit more expensive to buy your hardware from us, “you get what you pay for.” Did you know that you don’t necessarily need to get new hardware put on your doors in order to “change” your lock? We can come out to your home or business if you need your locks changed, and we can change things on the inside of your existing lock to fit new keys and give you the new keys, all without replacing your door hardware! We are YOUR Security Professional! We will gladly serve you in resolving all of your security needs.
These are some things that a locksmith is NOT, but how about what a locksmith actually IS?
Check back here for Part 2 to find out about what a locksmith IS.
Click here to find out What We Offer
click here to Contact us